Sunday, June 6, 2010

Third Year's the Charm


This is the Cumberland Black Raspberry plant. It's the third year I've had it and this is the first time I've seen any evidence of fruit. I usually don't have that much patience with plants because the real estate on my deck is valuable and I don't want to fool around with anything that doesn't fulfill its promise. However, this plant has looked healthy every season so I decided to give it one more year. The fruit is supposed to ripen in July and August. I'll report back to let you know if it was worth waiting for.


For those who have more patience than I do, here's some additional information: this plant is hardy to zone 5 and likes full sun. I've kept it elevated, of course, for good drainage and I've done nothing to it in the way of maintenance. Also, I have not used any special fertilizer, just a small handful of the time-release fertilizer every year.



4 comments:

Erin said...

Awesome! I know it's possible to grow just about anything in a pot, but I've never seen an example of someone growing raspberries in a container. My dad offered me some of my great-grandpas heirloom raspberries (best I've ever tasted), but I was kind of scared to try them on my balcony. But maybe I'll have to give that a second thought. Not that I have room for them right now, but maybe next year...

Miriam said...

Erin--definitely give those heirloom raspberries a try. Lucky you. I will tell you that the pot I've been growing my raspberry plant in is about 18 inches square so it's a decent size. The plant has actually gotten quite large. If it continues to grow at the current rate, I'll probably need a bigger pot next year. Good luck with yours! --Miriam

Norman said...

Hey girl--your garden looks awesome. I've stuck to herbs this year and Annie has done most of that. We are participating in a CSA for fresh from the farm vegetables this year and they frequently deliver a couple of herb plants.

How have you managed the heat? Other than watering alot? I figure that a while after the temperatures come down we'll continue to see new signs of stress in the plants. Keep up the good work.

Miss you.

Miriam said...

Hi Susan (Norman!)--Thanks for leaving a comment. It's been a great year for my garden, even in the heat. You're right, I just have to water like crazy. It helps that most everything is in large pots so watering once a day early in the morning is enough.

CSA is a great idea. There's nothing like fresh produce and herbs and it's a great way to share harvest. --Miriam