Sunday, June 21, 2009

Perle d'Or


Perle d'Or (or Pearl of Gold) is one of the two new roses that I bought this year from Antique Rose Emporium. Shown here is its first bloom of the season. According to my research, this rose was bred and introduced in France in 1884. The bloom's size and shape look a lot like the Cecile Brunner that I bought last year, which, by the way, seems to be struggling a bit right now. My fingers are crossed for her recovery. I'm chalking it up to the torrential rains we've had for the past couple weeks.


Anyway, back to Perle d'Or. Its maximum height and width is supposedly 4 feet which is why I thought it would be ideal for a container. It's hardy to zone 6 so with a little luck, it will return next year. Perle has a lot going for it: size, beauty, fragrance and, perhaps, the biggest selling point (especially since I rarely wear gardening gloves): nearly thornless branches. No Band-Aids required.


No comments: