Saturday, June 13, 2009

Lucky Find


The display at Crate and Barrel had a wire- framed basket on a dining table filled with decorative fruit. What got my attention was the markdown sign: 70% off. Of the basket that is. I'm always on the hunt for great containers and, bargain lover that I am, there was no way I was going to pass this one up. The sales associate suggested various ways of displaying it in the house. I told him, "No way, I'm planting flowers in it and putting it in my garden!"


Since I had not yet planted my annual foliage-only arrangement, I decided this would be the container I'd use. I first put in a large round coconut liner and filled it with potting soil and a scoop of Osmocote time-release fertilizer. Here are the plants I chose:


Heuchera sanguinea "Bressingham Hybrids', zone 3
Heuchera 'Plum Pudding', zone 3
Juncus 'Unicorn', zone 4
Ajuga 'Chocolate Chip', zone 4, (two plants)
Origanum 'Kent Beauty', zone 5
Stonecrop sedum, zone 5
Green santolina, zone 7
Purple sage, annual (two plants)










1 comment:

gardener said...

Great idea and I like your approach to plant selection and filling up the container for immediate impact. Always nice to connect to another balcony gardener.