Sunday, May 10, 2009

Shopping Day



I usually plan my first big shopping trip right around this time because I'm fairly certain that the cooler evenings are behind us. When I first started gardening, I'd make a beeline for the nursery on the first warm spring day (usually early April) because my hands were itching to plant something. And I was never alone. As with most important lessons though, I had to learn the hard way. Invariably, we'd get hit with a blast or two of cold air in the following weeks, leaving me with a bunch of dead plants and fewer dollars in my bank account.

No more. I now wait until Mother's Day. It's worked so far.

I went shopping today. Here's the cart before and after. This is a little more than half of what I'll need to complete my garden this season. Many plants returned this year. I also ordered some things via the Internet. Still on my shopping list: mandevilla, red Abyssinian banana plant, lots of herbs, and some miscellaneous fillers. That will be next weekend's shopping trip.

Stay tuned for more frequent postings and some review material on planting technique. Meanwhile, get those pots cleaned out--it's time to start planting!


No comments: