Wednesday, October 1, 2008

But Wait...There's More!

Just when I thought things were starting to come to a close in the garden, this plant starts to bloom. I actually had forgotten all about it because I have it in a container that has, among other things, a very mature gaura and heuchera. The latin name is Eupatorium rugosum. This specific version is Chocolate Eupatorium. It is commonly known as White Snakeroot. Again with the unattractive names.

Anyway, this doesn't smell like chocolate, at least, not that I can tell. The foliage is more purple and green than chocolate so really, I'm not sure where the chocolate part comes from. But, as you may have guessed, that's the reason I bought it. The blooms just started to appear in the last few days and they are really small (you can see more detail if you click on the photo to enlarge it). To tell you the truth, I'm not sure I'm all that wild about it. The one thing I can say is I do like having a plant that starts to bloom so late in the season.


Eupatorium grows to be about 3 feet high and likes sun/part shade. It is hardy to zone 4 so if I decide I don't want it next year, I'm going to have to dig it up and give it away to someone who has a better appreciation for it. Any takers?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What beautiful white flowers! I know you said you're not sure you like them but when i see them enlarged, they're stunning - keep it! Nothing like a little white in amongst all that color - it's called diversity! (ha! ha! ha!)

Miriam said...

Rohini: Great to hear from you! You've convinced me, I'll keep it.--Miriam