Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Smokin'

Shown here is Cuphea which is also known as 'cigar plant', 'tobacco plant', or 'firecracker plant'. I've never grown this annual before and I'm not sure why. It has just the sort of interesting bloom that adds variety to an arrangement. Plus, I'm forever trying to attract hummingbirds to my garden (without being so obvious as to put out an actual hummingbird feeder) and the design of this plant seems perfectly suited for that purpose. I have had one visit but he's been somewhat elusive.

As I mentioned, this is an annual so it won't survive past frost. It loves the sun and blooms repeatedly although it really starts to show its stuff in August. I think next year, I might actually be more thoughtful about how I plant it and maybe design a mixed container around it. I can see it now, a small pot with this firecracker plant, some Zinnia 'Profusion Orange', purple Angelonia, Creeping Wire Vine or Creeping Jenny. That would be a smokin' arrangement.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I planted some Salvia this year and the hummingbirds loved it. They totally ignored the feeder.

This is interesting, I might have t look for it next season. Creeping Jenny tends to go well with everything so I think the arrangement will look fantastic!