Monday, April 28, 2008

The Start of a New Season


It's usually right around this time that I start hauling out my materials so that I can start planting. Because plants in containers are more exposed to the elements, I wait a little longer than a gardener who plants directly in the ground. At this time of year in our zone (zone 7)there's still a possibility for some chilly nights. As enticing as it is, beware of doing any major shopping until you're fairly certain that the cold nights are over.

In order to satisfy that gardening itch at this time of year, I just go to the nurseries and look, adding or modifying my shopping list and admiring the new arrivals. That way, when I return in another week or two, I have a good idea of what I want to buy (with allowances, of course, for a few impulse purchases).

So here's a picture of one side of my deck today. Pretty much a mess, but I can see what I have. A few pots planted with perennials last year are already good to go. We had a mild winter so I lucked out.

No comments: